Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"The Other Night" -poem by Bryan Kemper

The other night I had a dream
I dreamt that I was in Hell
It wasnt like you think
It was sort of like this earth
I remember walking down the street
Wandering about
I came upon a poor man
Shivering in the street
His feet were bare
His clothes were torn
Tangles in his hair
He looked as if
He been beaten up
More than a time or two
His stench was heavy in the air
I had to hold my breath

As I turned away
A scream pierced my ear
The fragile woman laying there
Unable to move at all
As he ripped at her clothes
I could not stand to watch
He took from her what was not his
With no Remorse at all
I had to leave
I could not stand to watch
I started to feel her pain

Around the corner
I saw a girl
She smelled of cheap perfume
She smiled at me
And with a wink
Said all there was to say
Thirteen maybe fourteen
That's as old as she could be
Her parents must be worried
Where could their daughter be

Next I stumbled upon a child
His body battered and bruised
I stood in shock
As I looked up
He fell to the hands
Of his own father

How much more
Can I take
Of these morbid scenes of Hell

Up in the distance
I see a line
Forming at a door
Out the back came a man
Carrying a garbage bag
In they filed
To add to the pile
Of Americas disgrace


All of sudden I tripped and fell
I was in great pain
But wait a minute
This was a dream
How could I feel this pain

A dream indeed
No not at all
This is our very own world
With all this wealth
In the world
Why can't we feed the poor
When we see someone
Is in distress
Why can't we call for help
Why won't someone do something
About parents who hurt their kids
And about this slaughter
Of pre-born babies
Why won't someone speak out

Wait a minute
What am I saying
How can I be so blind
Why leave it up
To someone else
What makes me so special
Oh God, Oh God
Please have mercy
Have mercy on my soul
This was not a dream
This was not Hell
This is the real world

Next time I walk
Down the these streets
And see these morbid sights
Will I make an effort
To make a difference
In someone else's life
The answer came in a dream
A dream I had last night
As I passed all those people
The face I saw was Christ's

By: Bryan Kemper, Founder and President of Stand True Ministries