Thursday, June 5, 2008

"I Changed My Stand" by Pastor Zolton Phillips III, from the Last Days Ministries website


The following are excerpts from an online article from Last Days Ministries' website.

To read the full text of the article online, click on this link: "I Changed My Stand" by Pastor Zolton Phillips III .

It is the testimony of Pastor Phillips. He worked with Planned Parenthood, America's largest abortion provider, and he was even a member of the Clergy Advisory Board. However, everything changed when he witnessed an abortion and saw that the baby came out alive. He appealed to the nurse to help the baby but the nurse replied "I can’t because they’ve signed the papers that he’s dead." After that, he and his wife began to search the Scriptures. God spoke to them Jeremiah 1:5: "Before I formed you [Jeremiah] in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you..." He concluded that if the Lord knows him, then he has to be alive. He became pro-life ever since.
_____________________

" I’ll never forget that day. Inside the dilapidated brick building, a former minority hospital, I was greeted by a nervous nurse and two hurried doctors. I donned the standard white coat and entered a room where I saw a very pretty young lady, anxiously sitting on the edge of an old hospital bed. There were brief introductions and then I stepped to the back and listened to the doctor tell this woman what would happen. He emphasized three things: 1) "There will be no pain to speak of." 2) "You will walk into the room." 3) "You will walk back from the room." I’m not sure what prompted them to say such things, except possibly to reassure her that this was not a major medical operation.

We went into the procedure room. I stood at the head of the lady as her legs were placed in the stirrups, the doctor sat down, and the nurse stood at his side. Following four cervical injections that were painful to the lady, she was dilated by a series of rods increasing in size. Then an ominous-looking machine with a gauze bag inside a jar was pushed close to her. The vacuum tube was put in position, the machine turned on, and a sucking sound I’ll never forget filled the room. As a mass of fluid and blood went into the jar, the gauze bag caught the fragmented body parts where I saw what appeared to be a tiny hand catch in the bag.

I asked the nurse, "Is that what I think it is?" She said, "Yeah."

After it was over, the ashen-faced woman staggered back to the other room, supported by no one until I went to her aid. The rest of my day was filled with gloom.

I spoke with some people at Planned Parenthood about my uneasy feelings and was told they would disappear after seeing a few more abortions.

I did see other abortions - two vacuum curette and one saline. After the saline abortion, the baby was born alive. Shocked, I appealed to the nurse saying, "Hey, he’s trying to live, help him!" She replied, "I can’t because they’ve signed the papers that he’s dead."

When I came home, my wife and I began to do a lot of talking and praying and searching the Scriptures - something I had not done thoroughly enough. After a period of searching, God spoke to both of us at the same time. Jeremiah 1:5 was the verse God used to change my mind. "Before I formed you [Jeremiah] in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you..." If the Lord knows him, then he has to be alive.

There was considerable guilt over my involvement. I still struggle with it. Maybe my work didn’t have that much of an effect, but I was a part of the movement. That haunts me very seriously at times. Then when I realize the grace of God, the haunting begins to disappear and I’m better able to accept His forgiveness and forgive myself.

Nevertheless, it amazes me that we Christians can be so blind, especially when I consider that the reasons society gives for justifying abortion today would have killed our Christ before He was born: He was conceived out of wedlock, conceived in an impoverished woman, uncared for by society, and an embarrassment to family members.

"...Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." (Matt. 25:40 KJV)

Dr. Zolton Phillips III served as past president of Presbyterians Pro-Life, a group working against abortion within the Presbyterian denomination. He and his wife Sue, formerly from Florida, now live in Blackstone, Virginia, where he is pastor of the Blackstone Presbyterian Church. They both continue to be active in pro-life advocacy.


____________________________