Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Kids and the RH Bill by Manoling de Leon

I received this from Pro-life Philippines.

______________

Kids and the RH Bill

by
Manoling de Leon
Senior Citizen
Republic of the Philippines

Pinoy Pilgrim Global Foundation Inc.
16 Polk St. North Greenhills
San Juan City 1500, Metro Manila
Philippines
Tel. No. +63 2 722 2205
Fax No. +63 2 722 2190

My 13-year old grandson asked me yesterday: "Lolo, why are you against the RH Bill?"

I looked at him and said: "If they passed it eighty, fifty, or even fifteen
years ago, I, your mom, or you wouldn't be here, kid."

"But, Lolo, wasn't life during your time really tough? Mama said you worked so hard you were out of the house most of the time."

"Yup, she's right. My dad worked himself to death, and I almost did too.
We worked really hard. It was tough, but everyone turned out ok."

"But don't you think the RH Bill is ok?"

"Why?"

"Because, Lolo, you didn't have to work so hard. You could have enjoyed
your life more."

"And?" I knew where this conversation was going.

"With only two kids! Ooops"˛

This kid just remembered his mother was my third child, and that he himself was the fourth. I finished his sentence for him:

"Then you wouldn't be around asking me these stupid questions"˛

"I love you, Lolo!"

"I love you too, kid!" Pause.

"But, Lolo, how about the poor people?" Uh, oh! This conversation was still far from over.

"What about the poor people?"

"Don't you think they should be more responsible? They didn't finish
college, they have no future, they are poor."

"Hey, kid. You just described me before I met your Lola."

"But shouldn't we let parents choose how many kids they want to have?"

"Yup, you're right, but the RH Bill effectively dictates how many kids we
should have. Of course, they don't say so openly, but the result is the
same."

"How do you know that, Lolo?"

"Well, kid. I was in advertising, so I know how to make people buy soap,
shampoo, deodorant, gasoline, and thousands of other products. Heck, I even know how to make Bayani Fernando the next President of the Philippines!"

"So the RH Bill is advertising?"

"Yup! You got it."

"What are they advertising, Lolo?"

"Condoms, birth control pills and other things they want dads and moms to
use because, like soap, shampoo and deodorant, it would make them richer, more beautiful and smell better. There are only two problems, kid. They want the government to pay for it, and sooner or later you would want to use them too, even before you get married!"

"Lolo, let's take Merienda!"